Hazelton, Idaho is a small city located in Owyhee County in the southwestern part of the state. See health-beauty-guides for top counties in Idaho. It has a population of about 1,900 people, most of whom are working-class families. The city is situated on the banks of the Snake River and has a semi-arid climate with hot summers and cold winters.
Historically, Hazelton was first settled in 1864 by miners who were looking to strike it rich during the gold rush. In 1889, it was incorporated as a city and has slowly grown ever since. Today it is home to several small businesses and agricultural operations. The economy is largely based on farming, ranching, and tourism.
The local school system consists of one elementary school, one middle school and one high school. All three schools have excellent academic programs as well as a variety of extracurricular activities for students to participate in.
Hazelton is also home to several notable landmarks including the historic Owyhee County Courthouse which dates back to 1887 and serves as an important reminder of Hazelton’s rich history. Other attractions include the Snake River Canyon which offers spectacular views from atop its cliffs and the Owyhee Dam which is an impressive feat of engineering that supplies energy to much of Idaho.
In terms of politics, Hazelton leans towards conservatism with most residents voting Republican in national elections. There are also several locally elected officials who serve on various boards such as the City Council or School Board that help guide decision making at both local and state levels.
Population: 687. Estimated population in July 2020: 720 (+4.8% change)
Males: 342 (49.8%), Females: 345 (50.2%)
Zip code: 83335
Median resident age: 31.8 years
Median household income: $22,596
Median house value: $66,400
Races in Hazelton:
- White Non-Hispanic (71.3%)
- Hispanic (26.6%)
- Other race (13.4%)
- American Indian (1.5%)
- Black (0.9%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (22.7%), English (13.1%), United States (7.7%), Irish (7.6%), Swedish (3.9%), Dutch (3.1%).
Elevation: 3955 feet
Land area: 0.3 square miles
Hazelton, Idaho is a small town in the northwest corner of the state. With a population of about 1,200 people, it is a quiet and peaceful place. The town itself is surrounded by mountains and forests, giving it a beautiful backdrop for its residents. The people of Hazelton are friendly and welcoming to outsiders, making it an ideal place to live for those who want to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life.
The cost of living in Hazelton is quite low compared to other towns in Idaho. The median home price is around $160,000 with many being significantly lower than that. There are also plenty of rental options available for those who don’t want to buy. Utilities are also relatively inexpensive due to the small population size and lack of industry in the area. Groceries are also generally cheaper than the national average due to their proximity to local farms and suppliers.
The town has plenty of amenities for its residents including schools, parks, medical facilities, grocery stores and restaurants. There are also several churches in Hazelton that offer spiritual guidance for those seeking it out as well as community centers where locals can gather together for events or just hang out with friends. Overall, Hazelton offers a peaceful environment at an affordable cost that appeals to many looking for a quiet lifestyle away from hectic city life.
For population 25 years and over in Hazelton
- High school or higher: 61.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.1%
- Unemployed: 4.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hazelton city
- Never married: 23.6%
- Now married: 60.9%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 5.9%
- Divorced: 7.5%
23.7% Foreign born (22.7% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +280 (+68.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Hazelton:
- MAGIC VALLEY REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 24 miles; TWIN FALLS, ID)
- ST BENEDICT’S FAMILY MEDICAL CENTER (about 24 miles; JEROME, ID)
- CASSIA REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 25 miles; BURLEY, ID)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Hazelton:
- JOSLIN FIELD – MAGIC VALLEY RGNL (about 26 miles; TWIN FALLS, ID; Abbreviation: TWF)
- FRIEDMAN MEMORIAL (about 64 miles; HAILEY, ID; Abbreviation: SUN)
- POCATELLO REGIONAL (about 110 miles; POCATELLO, ID; Abbreviation: PIH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Hazelton:
- HAZELTON MUNI (about 2 miles; HAZELTON, ID; Abbreviation: U94)
- JEROME COUNTY (about 24 miles; JEROME, ID; Abbreviation: JER)
- BURLEY MUNI (about 26 miles; BURLEY, ID; Abbreviation: BYI)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hazelton:
- COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN IDAHO (about 24 miles; TWIN FALLS, ID; Full-time enrollment: 3,433)
- IDAHO STATE UNIVERSITY (about 127 miles; POCATELLO, ID; Full-time enrollment: 10,057)
- BOISE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 158 miles; BOISE, ID; Full-time enrollment: 12,033)
- UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY (about 169 miles; LOGAN, UT; Full-time enrollment: 16,384)
- WEBER STATE UNIVERSITY (about 180 miles; OGDEN, UT; Full-time enrollment: 12,112)
- RICKS COLLEGE (about 188 miles; REXBURG, ID; Full-time enrollment: 8,670)
- UNIVERSITY OF UTAH (about 203 miles; SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Full-time enrollment: 19,866)
Public primary/middle school in Hazelton:
- VALLEY SCHOOL (Students: 632; Location: 882 VALLEY ROAD SOUTH; Grades: PK – 12)
Private primary/middle school in Hazelton:
- SUNSHINE VALLEY SDA SCHOOL (Students: 21; Location: 1932 E 900 S; Grades: 1 – 8)