The term continent is a closed land mass that is completely or at least almost completely surrounded by water. The seven continents together make up almost 30 percent of the earth’s surface. The rest are oceans, seas and islands.
View Articles by Continent
The Asian continent is the supercontinent on the earth’s crust in many ways. It occupies 8.7 percent of the surface area and is 44.5 million square kilometers larger than any other continent. Over four billion people live in Asia. That is around 60 percent of the world’s population, almost eight times as many as in North America. Asia is also home to the highest elevations in our earth’s crust, including every fourteen eight-thousanders. The Mount Everest is 8,848 meters, the highest elevation. Second highest mountain is in the Karakorum lying K2, which is also known as the mountain of the mountains and is certainly the biggest challenge for a mountaineer.
List of all countries in Asia:
Africa is the second largest and so-called “black” continent. Over a billion people live there, which is 14.2 percent of the world’s population. Africa is considered the cradle of modern mankind and Egypt was one of the earliest civilizations. Nowhere else is the diversity of large mammals so diverse and nowhere else in the world do people speak as many different languages as in Africa. Over 2000 languages are registered in the 53 different countries of the African continent. The highest mountain is the Kilimanjaro massif at 5895 meters in Tanzania. Mount Kenya in neighboring Kenya, 325 kilometers away as the crow flies, is just 700 meters lower, but much more difficult to climb.
List of all countries in Africa:
Almost 540 million people currently live in North America. After all, that’s almost 7.6 percent of the world’s population. North America is only about half the size of Asia and the third largest continent on earth. In 1492, Christopher Columbus discovered the “New World”, which is only connected to the South American continent by the approximately 80 kilometers narrow isthmus of Panama. The highest mountain in North America is Mount McKinley in the Alaska Range at 6,149 meters. The second highest peak and just under 200 meters lower is Mount Logan in the Elias chain of Canada, which is considered one of the most inhospitable mountains in the world.
List of all countries in North America:
Based on Countryaah.com, the fourth largest continent is South America with an area of almost 18 million square kilometers and almost 400 million people. With over 7,500 kilometers, the Andes are the longest mountain range in the world. Aconcagua, at 6,962 meters, is the highest peak in South America and the highest elevation outside of Asia, right on the border between Chile and Argentina. The Ojos del Salado on the edge of the Atacama Desert also lies on the border between Chile and Argentina. The highest but long since extinct volcano on earth, like the Aconcagua, is not considered technically very demanding.
List of all countries in South America:
With an area of 13.2 million square kilometers, Antarctica is the fifth largest continent on earth and larger than Europe, but practically no one lives there. The more than 80 research stations have around 4,000 people in summer and barely a thousand in winter. The areas surrounding the South Pole are called Antarctica. How much mainland actually exists is not known, because an ice sheet up to three thousand meters thick lies over the Antarctic. It is the land of penguins and seals, sea lions and whales. Mount Vinson is 4,896 meters, which is about as high as Mont Blanc in the Alpsthe highest elevation in Antarctica. Only 44 meters lower and just 13 kilometers as the crow flies, Mount Tyree is the second highest mountain. It was climbed for the first time in 1967 and has not been climbed since 1997.
Although Europe, as a land mass, is directly connected to Asia for thousands of kilometers, due to historical and cultural developments, it is still regarded as an independent continent. One speaks however also of Eurasia. Europe is the most densely populated continent on earth with over 700 million people; an average of 65 inhabitants live in one square kilometer. After Australia, Europe is the second smallest continent. There are different opinions as to whether the inner Eurasian border makes the Caucasus mountains entirely Asia or whether the part beyond the northern watershed is part of Europe. However, if you take the geographic watershed as a yardstick, the two highest elevations in Europe are in the Caucasus: the Elbrus at 5642 meters and the neighboring one Dychtau with 5204 meters as the second highest peak in Europe.
List of all countries in Europe:
Australia and Oceania
34 million inhabitants, 8.5 million square kilometers total area and 1.7 percent share of the total earth surface – Australia and Oceania together form the seventh and smallest continent on earth. Tasmania, New Guinea, New Zealand and the island states in the Pacific make up the continent with Australia. The Carstenz pyramid in New Guinea is the highest mountain at 4884 meters. Then comes the Puncak Trikora with a height of 4730 meters.
List of all countries in Oceania:
The 50 countries with the lowest gas production in the world
|Rank||Country||Gas production (million cubic meters)|
|6||Barbados (North America)||29|
|8||Ecuador (South America)||40|
|13||Czech Republic (Europe)||110|
|15||Papua New Guinea (Australia-Oceania)||160|
|22||Cuba (North America)||780|
|24||Chile (South America)||1,060|
|26||Ivory Coast (Africa)||1.310|
|27||Equatorial Guinea (Africa)||1,360|
|29||Peru (South America)||1,540|
|33||South Africa (Africa)||2,430|
|39||New Zealand (Australia-Oceania)||4,470|
|41||Colombia (South America)||6,270|
|43||Bolivia (South America)||7,410|
|47||Syria, Arab Republic (Asia)||9,560|
|50||Brunei Darussalam (Asia)||11,540|
|Natural gas extraction. Only countries with gas production are listed.|
Source: Abbreviation Finder
- Gibson, Georgia September 25, 2023 - According to phonejust, Gibson, Georgia, is a small town located in Glascock County in the central part of the state. With a population of around 700 people, Gibson is known for its charming rural atmosphere… Continue Reading
- Interlachen, Florida September 22, 2023 - According to polyhobbies, Interlachen, Florida is a small town located in Putnam County, in the northeastern part of the state. Nestled between the larger cities of Gainesville and Palatka, Interlachen is characterized by its lush… Continue Reading
- Intercession City, Florida September 15, 2023 - According to howsmb, Intercession City is a small unincorporated community located in Osceola County, Florida. Situated in the central part of the state, it is nestled between the cities of Kissimmee and St. Cloud. Despite… Continue Reading
- Georgetown, Georgia September 12, 2023 - According to citypopulationreview, Georgetown, Georgia is a small town located in the southwestern part of the state, in the county of Quitman. Situated on the banks of the Chattahoochee River, Georgetown is known for its… Continue Reading
- Inglis, Florida September 8, 2023 - According to healthknowing, Inglis, Florida is a small town located in Levy County, on the west coast of the state. It is nestled between the Withlacoochee River to the north and the Gulf of Mexico… Continue Reading
- Hudson, Florida September 1, 2023 - Located in Pasco County, Florida, Hudson is a small coastal community with a unique geography that offers a blend of natural beauty and recreational opportunities. Situated on the Gulf of Mexico, Hudson is known for… Continue Reading
- Highland City, Florida August 25, 2023 - According to gradinmath, Highland City is a small unincorporated community located in Polk County, Florida, United States. Situated in the central part of the state, Highland City is surrounded by a diverse and captivating geography… Continue Reading
- High Springs, Florida August 18, 2023 - According to ezhoushan, High Springs is a charming city located in Alachua County, Florida. Situated in the northern part of the state, High Springs offers a unique blend of natural beauty and small-town charm. The… Continue Reading
- Hialeah, Florida August 11, 2023 - According to foodanddrinkjournal, Hialeah, Florida, located in Miami-Dade County, is a vibrant city with a unique geography that sets it apart from other areas in the state. Spanning an area of approximately 20 square miles,… Continue Reading
- Hernando, Florida August 4, 2023 - According to electronicsencyclopedia, Hernando, Florida, is a small unincorporated community located in Citrus County, on the western coast of the state. Situated in the heart of the Nature Coast, Hernando is surrounded by the natural… Continue Reading